There is a scenario that occurs that will cause a generator to show as "Unknown" even if the generator is connected and communicating. This is caused by an important message from the generator that is not being delivered to our system. This message carries status information such as; Current Status, Time-zone and Generator Serial number. This message is required in Fleet to show the data correctly.
NOTE: This impact is visible in FLEET; showing as "Unknown" when the generator is in fact connected and communicating, showing the incorrect time, failing to display a serial number on the Generator Status page. Any of these issue being seen, will also affect customer immediate email notifications failing to be received.
This issue can be corrected simply by resetting the generator's controller. Resetting the controller will force the generator to resend the message that failed to deliver previously.
To Execute a controller reset on a generator:
- On the generator's controller, press the Off button to prevent the generator from starting during this process
- On the generator's controller, press the Escape button.
- Use the arrow keys to select the SUB MENUS option, then press Enter.
- Use the arrow keys to select the DEALER option, then press Enter.
NOTE: Access to the Dealer menu will require the dealer access code to be provide prior to selecting the item. Contact a Generac Service representative for more information about this access code.
- Use the arrow keys to select the DEALER-EDIT option, then press Enter.
- Use the arrow keys to select the GO TO WIZARD option, then press Enter.
- Use the arrow keys to select the YES? option, then press Enter.
- The controller will take 10-15 seconds to restart. Upon completion of the restart, you will be prompted for a language selection. Choose a language.
NOTE: Controller reset happen in seconds and have no effect of the generator's current status or ability to function.
- The generator will then automatically reconnect to the home Wi-Fi network. Once connected it will confirm on screen. Press Enter to proceed through the remaining prompts.
- REMEMBER: Return the Generator to AUTO.
NOTE: In some cases, it is possible for Generac personnel to remotely execute a controller reset when requested. Please contact a Service Representative to request if this is possible for the generator in question.